DC Mobile Extension

List your applications and implementations here. Gloating is allowed. Show us what you have created.
Oso Rojo
Site Admin

DC Mobile Extension

Post by Oso Rojo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 pm

We are an aerospace manufacturer that makes edge welded bellows units. These require a number of metallurgy processes that require documentation along the steps of the traveler. DC Mobile gives us the ability to capture time on each step of the traveler. We want to collect some other data points at the same time. Modifying the web pages used in DC Mobile is just not practical. We can easily build our own web page that mimics the DC Mobile data collection and also collects our data. The drawback of doing this is that we have to write a records into the job op time database table to replace the DC Mobile function. I'm not a big fan of reverse engineering the JobBoss database for writing. I have no problem with dissection for reading, but writing my own records is a really different thing.

At Unite 2017, a product manager steered me to an engineer who told me about the JobBoss SDK. (I"m omitting names here in case there are every senate hearings on the subject, hehehehehe.) By using the SDK to enter time I can extend the DC Mobile to capture all kinds of data in addition to the traditional time information. The SDK puts the time information into the JobBoss tables and my code puts our telemetry data into it's own tables.

It sounds like a great solution! We'll see over the next couple of months as we proceed. There are separate hurdles along the way, 2d barcodes, XML, small mobile computer screens, etc. So this is a task in process.

Oso Rojo